Everything that provides some benefits comes with drawbacks as well. You can take an example of medicines, it helps us in curing several diseases but each medicine has some side effects too. The same goes for the field of the plastics manufacturing industry. The plastic industry is bringing comfort in people’s lives by producing different objects, but deleterious material in it is very harmful to all living beings.
In nature toxicity of plastic is a major issue on a universal level. Plastic unfavorable substance outcomes are affecting the world population at a flying speed. To minimize these risk factors on the environment, society, and economy different measurement plans are made by health authorities.
Plastics ROHS standards for Restriction of Hazardous Substances, it is a limitation on the use of unsafe material and substances in the making of equipment. Directive 2002/95/EC is another representative name of plastics ROHS. Restriction on dangerous substances is highly important otherwise it will bring a more negative impact on society’s health and nature.
It is the responsibility of every plastic factory to follow suitability principles and eliminates the use of dangerous substances. The health authorities, the law implementing agencies, and government officials are taking efficient steps to reduce the disadvantage of plastic on human health and the environment by conducting plastic sustainability conferences every year.
Plastics (ROHS): Restriction on Dangerous Substances Is Important Because;
- Unsafe plastic affects human health. Diseases like irritation in the eye, lungs problem, respiratory problem, stomach issues, skin diseases, vision failure, and cancer, cardiovascular and liver infection re caused because of noxious plastic
- Plastic waste takes 1000 years to decompose into the earth’s surface which causes land pollution.
- Oceans, lakes, rivers, or groundwater is spoiled when toxic chemicals aredrain out from the plastic.
- Unhealthy plastic chemicals kill millions of wildlife when it is mistakenly eaten by marine animals.
Shocking Statistic about Plastic Side Effects
- Around 40,000 to 1 million people die due to diseases caused by plastic or when linked with poorly manages waste.
- Every year over 1 million sea creatures and marine birds die due to plastic pollution.
- Garbage truck full of plastic is discarded every minute into the oceans
- National geographic plastic pollution study claims, over 38 million plastic trashes covers the Islands.
Now let’s have a quick glimpse of what can make plastic material dangerous and what are the hazardous substances in the plastic industry?
Restriction on the Use of Chemicals
We are all aware of the fact, chemicals are injurious and hurtful for living beings. Plastic products bring easiness in our lives, but several plastic products can harm health as it contains chemicals. Bad packing material could be poisonous for human life. The food packaging material that includes chemical could cause stomach, lungs, and liver diseases.
Hazardous substances create high risk globally but more problems are observed in developing countries because they don’t follow SOPs. Scientists and health agencies are continuously conducting research work on the chemicals that have substance to harm human bodies. It is unlawful for plastic manufacturing to use such material in the production process.
Harmful Plastic Types
Toxic plastic material in Plastic is highly threatening for the consumers. Doctors are strictly suggesting to impose a permanent ban on chemicals bringing adverse effects on the community’s well-being. Sometimes plastic gets contaminated into the food chains by the agriculture soil. The harmful plastics and fragments can generate bad health outcomes once it enters the body.
Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC)
This widely known detrimental plastic can be exposed to the body by swallowing food item or drink warped in PVC, inhalation, or by making physical contact with product made up of PVC. It releases dioxin that could cause internal secretion.
In custom plastic objects, Bisphenol chemical is popular in originating hormone trouble. It has generated so many health problems in children due to its use in baby bottles and kid’s sippy cups. Therefore, it got banned in 2012 by the Federal Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Still, it is being used in the manufacturing of different types of plastic parts.
Two per- and Polyfluoroalkyl (PFAS)
The European Chemical Agency has identified this chemical substance as toxic towards the environment. The exposure to this chemical could cause kidney, lives, developmental, and immunological side effects.
Proper Disposal & Recycling of Plastic
The excessive waste after the production phase ends could be used in three ways;
- Energy Reclamation
The process of recycling is a cost-efficient method of generating more objects from already used material. Due to recycling, less waste is transferred in landfilling which is positive for the land soil. Efficient disposal and recycling management give awareness about the protection of the environment, human beings, and all species.
Recommendations for Sustainability and Hazardous Free Plastic
- Planning of waste management policies which include waste collection, transportation, treatment, and disposals of plastic trash.
- Monitoring and regulation of dumping, disposing, or burning of plastic waste.
- Companies should only use of lubricants and material allowed by the government and environment agencies.
- Promoting recycling for manufacturing environment-friendly products, healthy and plastic pollution-free environment.
- Permanent ban on the production of harmful and toxic objects.
- Substances in products should be used by keeping consumers health in mind.
- Working according to standards and guidelines provided by environment regulating authorities, FDA, and REACH.
- Keeping a constant check on what kind of substances is being used in the manufacturing factories.
- Originating new strategies to make pollution free society by making eco-friendly plastic parts.
- Conducting license cancellation of the plastic company who intentionally use chemicals for more profits and violates the rules of sustainability
As you can see, plastic hazardous chemicals are becoming a big reason for polluting the global environment. The use of toxic plastic materials is putting the human and marine lives in danger. To have a healthy living environment, it is strictly recommended to make it compulsory for all plastic producers to work according to ISO guidelines and laws. There should be a permanent ban imposed on the use of harmful substances. Thus, plastics ROHS is set as a standard.