When performing a pre-shipment inspection, the non-conformities identified usually oblige the supplier to rework or replace the goods that the buyer cannot accept; however the buyer should know that he is taking risks by taking such a decision. Three risks exist if people want to repair their goods:
- Manipulating finished goods can create new defects
- There is usually no guarantee the supplier can improve the defect(s)
- The delivery will certainly be delayed for few days
Three risks if people want to replace the goods:
- There will be shipment delays of days or weeks
- Some suppliers require a financial support
- A long negotiation process which is time consuming and cost money.